Texas Archive of the Moving Image is loading...

The KHOU-TV Collection - News Clips, May 18 - 31, 1966

Houston Metropolitan Research Center


  • Normal
  • Large video
  • Large content
  • Full video
"rtmpconf":{ type:"flv", file:"mp4:2016_05914_480x360.mp4", baseUrl:wgScriptPath + "/extensions/player/", streamServer:'texas-flash.streamguys1.com:443/vod', width:"480", height:"360", config:{ showBrowserControls:false }, poster:"/library/index.php?action=ajax%26rs=importImage%26rsargs[]=2016 05914 tn.jpg%26rsargs[]=480", controls:{ _timerStyle:"sides" } }
Loading Google Maps...
  •  Heart Announcement, 05/18/66: A reporter reads a pair of statement released by Methodist Hospital Administrator Ted Bowen on the status of heart patient Walter L. McCans. Pioneering heart surgeon Dr. Michael DeBakey and his team operated on McCans on May 17, using an artificial heart to assist in his immediate recovery. McCans, a 63-year-old Navy chief petty officer, was only the second patient to receive this new heart pump designed by DeBakey. The surgery team removed the artificial heart after about 24 hours after determining that McCans’ own heart had healed enough to resume pumping on its own. As the reporter relates, McCans underwent several additional surgeries to address persistent lung congestion. He died on May 20 as a result of bleeding around his lungs.  
  •  Fire Boat, 05/20/66: Onlookers watch as firefighters attempt to extinguish a boat fire 
  •  Carswell At It Again, 05/23/66: Police officers and an ambulance rush to the scene of a car accident, which leaves a woman in a stretcher. Jack Carswell, director of Jack Carswell and Co. Funeral Directors of Houston, argues with a patrolman at the site. Carswell was engaged in a long-lasting legal battle with the City of Houston over ambulance permits at the time. Part of his business involved operating an ambulance and emergency response team. To Carswell’s displeasure, however, the city required a permit to conduct such services. The chief of police eventually suspended Carswell’s permit, prompting Carswell to resort to prank phone calls for revenge. Houston City Councilmen Lee McLemore and A. L. Miller as well as James Francis Willis of the Houston Police Department began receiving mysterious calls, where the phone would ring but no one would answer on the other line. On June 9, 1966, less than one month after this clip, a Harris County grand jury charged Carswell with using a telephone “in a manner and with intent to harass, annoy and torment.”  The court eventually acquitted him, so he sued Willis and the appellee for the physical and mental suffering caused by such accusations. 
  •  Heplor [sic] Wrap, 05/25/66: KHOU reporter Mark Hepler reports on the changing face of the Riverside Terrace neighborhood in Houston. The community was established in the 1930s as a home for Houston’s prominent Jewish families, who were not allowed to settle in the River Oaks neighborhood. Jack Caesar, a wealthy black cattleman, and his family moved to Riverside in 1952. Despite the detonation of a bomb on their front porch a year later, the Caesars stayed, prompting other black families to move to the area (as well as white flight to the suburbs). In the 1960s, remaining white residents sought to stabilize Riverside Terrace as an integrated community. The South MacGregor Promotion Committee posted signs stating “This Is Our Home It Is Not For Sale” in a campaign against block busting. (Blockbusting was the practice by which real estate agents used racist fears of minorities to pressure white families to sell their houses at low prices in order to resell them to African-American ones at higher prices.) Nevertheless, all but a few of the white families left Riverside Terrace, and the neighborhood became predominantly African American. Notable residents include Olympian Carl Lewis, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee, and Beyoncé. 
  •  Bracewell Charter Comm., 05/26/66: J. Searcy Bracewell Jr,  former state legislator and member of the Houston City Charter Commission, explains the purpose of the charter committee. Bracewell served in the Texas House of Representatives from 1947 to 1949 and the Texas Senate from 1949 to 1959. Throughout his career, Bracewell helped establish the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and the University of Texas Science Center Dental School. 
  •  Prison Grads, 05/29/66: Graduation ceremony for inmates 
  •  Texas Longhorns Head Coach Darrell K Royal delivers the commencement speech 
  •  Fultz Retires, 05/31/66: Retirement party for Houston Police Inspector Larry W. Fultz. In addition to serving in the police force, Fultz also worked as an attorney at law, the head of Juvenile for Harris County, and the director of security at the University of Houston.   
Mark Video Segment:
See someone or something you recognize? TAMI Tagging
Click begin and end to mark the segment you wish
to tag. Then enter your comment and click on Tag!
To: tamitags@texasarchive.org
Share this video

Send E-mail


[Hide]Right click this link, select 'open in new tab', and add to bookmarks:
In partnership with:
  • About the video
  • More About Our Partners More About Our Partners
  • Darrell K Royal Darrell K Royal
  • Texas Locations
  • Keywords
This film from KHOU-TV Channel 11 in Houston contains a series of short news segments that would have aired as highlights to news stories. Many are silent and would have been voiced over by the anchorperson during a live broadcast. The titles for each segment are the originals created by KHOU-TV. The clips on this reel all date from May 18 to 31, 1966. This series includes news segments about a recovering heart surgery patient, a dispute over ambulance permits, and a prison graduation featuring Texas Head Coach Darrell K Royal.
The digital preservation of this collection was made possible by a grant to the Texas Archive of the Moving Image and the Houston Public Library from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission and the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Many more films from the KHOU-TV Collection are available on the Houston Public Library Houston Area Digital Archives website.
Darrell K Royal was a collegiate football coach revered for leading the Texas Longhorns in 20 winning seasons from 1957 to 1976.
Royal was born on July 6, 1924, in Hollis, Oklahoma. His middle name, K, has been said to represent his mother, Katy, who died of cancer when Royal was a baby. He experienced more tragedy with the deaths of two of his sisters at young ages. During the hard economic times of the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl, Royal had to supplement his father’s income by taking on a paper route and picking cotton. His family was so poor that he used a can of baking powder as a football until he and his brothers were able to pool their money to buy a real one.
With the outbreak of World War II, Royal joined the U.S. Army Air Corps. While playing football for the 3rd Air Force team, he was scouted by the University of Oklahoma. There he majored in business and became a star quarterback and defensive back. When he graduated, Royal knew he wanted to coach football. He held assistant coaching positions at North Carolina State, Tulsa, and Mississippi State. He briefly coached the Edmonton Eskimos in Canada before returning to Mississippi as head coach in 1954, where he remained for two years.
In 1956, Royal became head coach at the University of Texas at Austin, where he became the most successful coach in the history of the program. In his first year, he quickly turned the losing team into a winning one, ending the season with an appearance at the Sugar Bowl. Royal remained for a record 20 years without a single losing season. During his tenure, Texas won national championship titles in 1963, 1969, and 1970. They also won 11 Southwest Conference titles and went to 16 bowl games. Although he received some criticism for his coaching tactics, Royal was ultimately considered a legend. He retired in 1976, but stayed at Texas as an athletic director for four more years. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983, and the football stadium at the University of Texas was renamed in his honor in 1996. 
Royal married Edith Thomason in 1944, and they had three children -- Mack, David Wade, and Marian. Two of his children, David and Marian, preceded him in death. Darrell Royal died on November 7, 2012, from complications with Alzheimer’s. His wife founded the Darrell K Royal Research Fund for Alzheimer’s Disease in his honor.